- Foster Care Liaison Information and Resources
Foster Care Liaison Information and Resources
Students who were formerly in foster care (conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective) in Texas may be eligible for to receive tuition exemptions and other resources.
A student is exempt from the payment of tuition and fees, including tuition and fees charged by an institution of higher education for a dual credit course or other course for which a high school student may earn joint high school and college credit, if the student:
Was under the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services:
- On the day preceding the student’s 18th birthday;
- On or after the day of the student’s 14th birthday, if the student was also eligible for adoption on or after that day; or
- On the day the student graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma; or
- The date permanent managing conservatorship (PMC) of the student is awarded to a person other than the student’s parent, if that date is on or after September 1, 2009.
The student must enroll in an institution of higher education as an undergraduate student or in a dual credit course or other course not later than the student’s 25th birthday.
As of June 1, 2016, the following persons may also qualify for the tuition and fee exemption:
A student whose age was 14 or older on or after June 1, 2016 and subsequently exited DFPS’s permanent managing conservatorship to the legal responsibility of the parent.
Additional Eligibility Information
Tuition and Fee Exemption Information – http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=429
Navarro College Financial Aid Office – /costs-aid/
Navarro College Support Services – /support-services/
PAL Information – Reference Sheet for Benefits
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services – Transitional Living Services-Revised November 2012