The Human Resources Department serves as the custodian of official permanent personnel files for all personnel. The Human Resources Department also serves as the custodian of all permanent official personnel credential files for full-time and part-time faculty.
The personnel files of each individual contain confidential information that is necessary for initial employment and promotion consideration. This information is restricted to those persons concerned with “a need to know” and employment recommendations.
Personnel files may include the following information:
- Basic employee data:
- Over-load contracts
- All-inclusive personnel status forms
- Job description and status changes:
- Job Description
- Faculty salary calculations
- Faculty credential updates
- Employment selection process records:
- Personnel requisition form
- Application for employment
- Applicant’s authorization to release information
- Employee development records:
- Records of training courses completed
- Tuition reimbursement forms
- Counseling documents
- Notations for significant achievements
- Community activities for the college’s benefit
- Certifications, licensures, etc.
- Performance documentation:
- Employee’s performance evaluations (self evaluations included)
- Disciplinary notices
- Miscellaneous and separation records:
- Requests to inspect personnel file
- Requests for leave of absence
- Any other agreements, acknowledgements and requests
- Attendance records
- Voluntary resignation letter
- Exit interview record
- Challenges to claims such as unemployment compensation.
- Interview evaluations forms
- Pre-employment reference checks
- EEO/Affirmative Action data
- Benefit choice plans
- W-4’s and Retirement Questionnaires.
- Any information regarding legal actions, including EEO complaints
- Medical information:
- Injury reports
- Health care provider certifications
- Doctors’ notes and reports
- Workers’ compensation injury forms and reports
- Disability leave documentation
All personnel files are property of the College. It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure that the file contains up-to-date educational attainments and provides the Human Resources Department with updated transcripts and notices of other pertinent achievements. An employee may review his or her file at any time; however, the employee must give prior notice to the Vice President of Human Resources and the review is conducted in the Human Resources Department during a time when the employee is not on duty. A nominal fee may be charged for copies made of any material contained in the personnel file.
In addition to the files maintained in the Human Resources Department, Administrators may maintain office files of the following documents:
- Copies of evaluation documents (originals to Human Resources)
- Correspondence regarding personal matters
- Copies of contracts or teaching load forms
- Copies of application and resumes
- Copies of transcripts
These files will be made available only to those persons in the line or staff organization who have the authority to recommend and approve re-employment and/or advancement.
Requests for home address, telephone number, etc., should be referred to the Human Resources Department. Such requests will be referred to the individual at his or her campus office. Lists of employees will not be released unless the requesting organization has been authorized by the College to conduct business with the individual.
Approved: May 7, 2015
Updated: February 27, 2017