BOARD LEGAL STATUS
COMPOSITION, RESPONSIBILITIES, POWERS, AND DUTIES
The official governing body of Navarro College is the Board of Trustees. The Board is composed of seven members who are residents of the college district and are elected by the qualified voters for the district.
The Navarro College Board of Trustees:
- Is expected to preserve institutional independence and to defend its right to manage its own affairs through its chosen administrators and employees.
- Shall enhance the public image of the Navarro College District under its governance.
- Shall interpret the community to the campus and interpret the campus to the community.
- Shall nurture the College District under its governance to the end that it achieves its full potential within its role and mission.
- Shall insist on clarity of focus and mission of the College District under its governance.
- Shall remain free from undue influence from political, religious, or other external bodies and protect the institution from such influence.
POWERS AND DUTIES
The Board shall have specific powers and duties imposed by statutes of the state. The Board has the legal power and duty to:
- Set tuition, rates and fees.
- Adopt such policies deemed necessary for the efficient operation of the District.
- Adopt a tax rate each fiscal year.
- Approve an annual budget
- Appoint and evaluate the District President.
- Delegate authority to District President to employ personnel.
Date Issued: January 22, 2015